2.23.2013

~The Grounds~

Seeing the grounds of Helen Keller's birthplace was so neat!  I can't imagine this little girl running around and not being able to see all that I saw in just moments. 
The actual water pump where Helen learned her first word, w-a-t-e-r.


The cooks room and kitchen. 

The cooks room.


This is the ice house.  They would bring in chunks of ice and keep it cool by covering it with saw dust.

This is inside where they stored the ice.

This is the backside of the place where Helen Keller was actually born.

Inside the house.


The actual bed Helen was born in and the cradle they put her in.  Helen's grandparents lived in the main house.  Her parents stayed in this home to have some privacy and that is why she was born in this house.

My sweet girls posing.


The side view of the cooks house.

The dinner bell.

The Lion's Club was moved by Helen Keller and have donated many things to this place in honor or her.



Annie would place Helen up in this tree while she would teach her.  One day Helen could smell a storm coming.  I'm not sure if she got stuck during the storm or if someone came and got her..  The story was a little confusing.   The know the tree is at least 200 years old.  Can you imagine where the branches would have been when she was climbing around in the tree.
I had so much fun reading and learning as much as I could about Helen Keller and her life.  I'm anxious to read even more.  She inspires to me work harder, especially with my kids.  She was a fascinating woman and I'm so thankful we had the opportunity to visit her birthplace.

No comments: